Members and Fellows of the IAM, as experienced asset management professionals, can share their knowledge and experience with NxtGenPlus members by becoming mentors. Mentoring is a supportive, one-to-one relationship based on mutual trust where the mentee is encouraged to develop knowledge, skills and confidence. As a mentor, you will often act as a sounding board to clarify mentees’ thoughts and feelings, helping them to achieve their goals in a confidential, supportive environment.
Both mentors and mentees will find this relationship valuable, giving both parties access to different ways of thinking and reflective learning.
- Allow your mentee to raise and talk about issues. Listen, clarify, reflect, challenge and give appropriate feedback.
- Aid reflective learning:
- Help your mentee to reflect on beliefs, feelings, thoughts and behaviours, and to view issues from multiple perspectives.
- Guide and encourage your mentee in their analysis to solve problems and take advantage of opportunities.
- Help set and monitor objectives:
- Support your mentee in defining development needs and setting objectives, fostering independent learning.
- Help your mentee to stay on track by monitoring their progress towards reaching their goals.
- Share your experience:
- Share stories from your own professional experience: both successes and failures.
- Time commitment
- Typically, mentors will dedicate 1-2 hours every 1-2 months to this initiative, though you are free to decide exact times.
If you’re interested in becoming a mentor, please complete the registration form.
Mentor registration form
Once you’ve completed the form, we aim to respond within ten working days. If your application is successful, you will be matched with a mentee and will receive a guide on getting the most from your mentor/mentee relationship. Matches are made based on geography and we try not to pair any competing organisations. If you are assigned a mentee that may represent a conflict of interests please contact our mentoring team and we will find another suitable match.
The mentoring scheme is a new initiative that we will be continually reviewing based on your feedback. Please let us know how it’s going.